The Secret to a Plush, Fertile New Lawn
Has your lawn taken a turn for the worse? Has your grass seen greener days? Let Kiefer Landscaping help you turn your lawn from a boring, brown mess into a verdant oasis! With proper watering and seeding, you’ll see a marked improvement in your landscaping in just a few weeks. Kiefer Landscaping’s trio-mix blend will make sure your seeds lay down roots and grow in any kind of sunlight. Don’t forget to ask about our irrigation systems to help keep your new lawn watered throughout the growing season! For more tips on how to maintain a great looking lawn, check out our irrigation, lawn maintenance, fertilization and aeration pages.
- For newly seeded lawns, it is important to water daily for the first two weeks. The best time to water is in the morning.
- Once the grass starts growing, water 2-3 times per week or more in dry hot weather.
- Keep the new seed moist, but not saturated. Straw holds moisture so DO NOT REMOVE THE STRAW until after the first mowing.
*It’s important to know that frequent shallow watering is not good foe your lawn. Shallow watering causes the root system to grow near the surface. Water less often, but water deeply. Over time the roots follow the water down into the soil and you will have a lush healthy turf.
Wide temperature variations are quite common in our region and the wrong grass seed mixture can make establishing a lawn extremely difficult. Our KIEFER’S SPECIAL BLEND grass seed was specifically designed with cool and warm season grasses to combat the cold hard winters as well as the hot and humid summers we experience in our area.
- Watering must be started immediately after the sod is installed.
- It is essential that enough water is put down the first time to thoroughly soak the sod and soil under the sod. You can check the moisture content by lifting up a flap of the sod and sticking your finger in the soil. It should be moist several inches deep.
- After the first watering, water enough to keep the soil under the sod moist. In cool weather, you may only need to water every 3-4 days. DO NOT ALLOW THE SOD OR SOIL TO DRY OUT BETWEEN WATERING.
- Water anytime the sod has a dry, pale, blue-gray color or if the grass does not spring back after walking on it.
(Please Note: We do not carry sod for individual sale. Sod is only used for landscape projects)
Proudly serving the communities of Effingham IL, Champaign IL, Mattoon IL, Charleston IL , Greenville IL, Mt. Vernon IL, Newton IL, Olney IL, Shelbyville IL, Salem IL, Urbana IL, Vandalia IL, Highland IL, Flora IL and all of Southern & Central Illinois for over 20 years.