The history of this rock goes back to the Huronian period of the Proterozoic Era, an estimated one billion years ago. During this time, extensive sediments were deposited in or adjacent to seas, lakes, and other bodies of water. Much of this material, derived by erosion by older rocks, was in the fine sand particles and rounded pebbles of grey and white quartz. The bright red and brown jasper pebbles were deposited over small parts of an east-west band about fifty miles long lying north and north west of what is now Bruce Mines, Ontario. Sand, free of pebbles, formed sandstone under the weight of later sediments, the individual grains becoming cemented by silicone and iron bearing waters. Mixed sand and pebbles became conglomerates or sandstone conglomerates by the same process.
Under the heat and pressure of later volcanic activity, sandstones and conglomerates were transformed into quartzite and quartzite conglomerates. Weathering and erosion uncovered some of the rocks, and loose fragments were gathered and moved in great masses by the ice sheets.
The stone was named by English settlers, about 1840, because it looked like their boiled suet pudding with cherries and currants.